Thursday, March 18, 2010

Yogurt Cheese

I know I get excited about weird things sometimes.  This might be at the top of the weird list, but it's so cool and so GOOD! 

It's called yogurt cheese.  And there's nothing to it.  You just dump a container of natural/plain lowfat yogurt
into a strainer lined with cheese cloth (I bought mine at the grocery store).  Then you set the strainer over a bowl and place it in the refrigerator overnight.  In the morning, you have this thick, sour cream-like substance that you can use for SO many things.
Plop a spoonful of it in your chili.  Or mix some herbs and garlic into it for a veggie dip.  Add vanilla and 2 cups of icing sugar to making cake frosting (without all that fat that normally goes into it).  Or just spread it on a bagel with a little low-sugar jelly for the taste of a jelly doughnut (if you imagine really hard, you can do it)!

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Jill, I love this blog. Thank you so much for this! It is something that will be so helpful to me as I embark on a healthier eating/ weight loss journey. I've been very focused on natural foods lately, but not always healthy!

I've been wanting to make yogurt cheese forever. I just haven't gotten around to it. The wait is over. It's on my list for this week!

Kerry said...

Okay, so I made the yogurt cheese last week and it was great. We used it as a dip and then my parents kept the leftovers and used it on their baked potatoes. I'd love to play around with it a bit and let it sit even longer to stiffen up a bit more. I'm thinking a bit of honey and cinnamon on wheat toast would make a great breakfast treat!

Jen Oliver said...

I'm intrigued at the idea of using this for cake frosting...I used to be able to eat vats of frosting, no problem, but no more! Not only would it bother my conscience, but often even a normal amount of the sugary stuff leaves me feeling sick... And I LOVE yogurt...It sounds like a good alternative to cream cheese frosting on a carrot or pumpkin cake??? I'll have to try it and let you know!