Thursday, February 4, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

I had a friend over for breakfast today.  I served this oatmeal, scrambled eggs (mostly whites), and blueberry smoothies.  I believe I'll be making this again very soon, but if the kids are going to eat it with me I'll have to leave out the almonds! The recipe is from Tosca Reno's The Eat Clean Diet Cookbook.

Ingredients:
2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 cups skim milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup dried cranberries (or maybe raisins)
1 large firm apple, grated (do not peel first)
4 tbsp maple syrup

1.  Preheat oven to 400.  Coat a 3 quart casserole dish with cooking spray
2.  Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Place the mixture in the casserole dish.  Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.

I didn't do it, but I think adding cinnamon in this dish would have been perfect!  I can't wait to try it again.  It smelled glorious, and while it was baking I had time to clean up the kitchen and prepare the rest of breakfast!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooo... this looks so yummy. Horsemeat? Really? Never done that!:)